By midnight Monday, February 21, please answer in a comment:
a.What social media tools you already use for your personal or work use, if any. Examples: Facebook, Ning, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yammer, etc.
b. Your level of experience and expertise with each. Are you a once-in-awhile Tweeter, or are your running your own community on Facebook or Ning?
c. What do you hope to accomplish by learning more about using social media in training? What problem to you hope this will solve?
ONE MORE THING:
d. What is one thing about our first session (February 16) that surprised you, caught your interest, or gave you something new to think about?
I've included my own comment as something of a template for you, but you don't need to copy it. There are no rules: Just please tell us something that will help us learn a little more about your experience.
You can post with just your name -- you don't have to have an account or login (for this blog, for now). NOTE: Last time some folks reported trouble posting. This turned out to be a browser problem. If you have trouble, try switching to another browser (from Explorer to Chrome, for instance). If it proves too difficult to not fret -- please just send me a note. -- Jane
2. Before midnight on Wednesday, February 22, please read over everyone's comments and try to add a comment that extends the conversation a bit.
See you next time!
Jane
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My dissertation research was on communities of practice -- specifically, one comprised of training practitioners -- and developed an interest in ways members of communities could work together and learn from one another more effectively. My favorite tool is Twitter, and I have developed a vibrant personal learning network (PLN) of smart people who share many of my interests. My work involves learners that span geography and time zones, and work shifts, so I am interested in using social media to help extend my reach to them. I am also interested in social media as a knowledge management/learning organization tool.
ReplyDeletea. I use Blogger, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter primarily but I also have accounts with linkedin, yammer and delicious.
ReplyDeleteb. I try to blog regularly but really not as oftern as I should ( http://brownstreetblog.blogspot.com/ )I usualy tweet daily ( @F1RSTPR1ME )and I'm on YouTube almost every day ( F1RSTPR1ME )
c. I don't yet know what I'm trying to solve. I know SoMe is great for marketing but I really don't know how to apply it to learning.
d. I took away a few key points that can be used to ease the fear that leadership might have with SoMe when applied to learning.
Hi! It's Carol the Higher-Ed Math Professor. I use FaceBook personally to keep up with some friends and co workers from the different schools I teach for. I have to admit I do like bejeweled blitz and words with friends as social activities when time allows. That is what makes playing games fun in this atmosphere. I have liked many pages relating to personal interests as well as though related to the where I teach. I check them to see what is going on and sometimes post on the Kaplan Math Center Page if students have questions.
ReplyDeleteI also have a Twitter account. Now don't laugh I have tweeted once to see if my one follower (my husband, Phil) would actually see it. I follow some things though. Let's see pretty much ALL the UK basketball players and Coach Calipari; the schools I teach for; some shows like Dr. Drew and Dr. Oz; and my local TV stations. Oh, and when the Bronx Zoo Cobra escaped I hardly got any work done. S/he was tweeting all the time until recaptured. It made me laugh throughout my busy days. So I am an absolute beginner with this.
What do I wish to accomplish? I see this class as a way to obtain some knowledge about what I might be want to do in the future with my love of teaching. Is there a need for "Ms. Hannahs Math Blog"? Since I consider myself a fulltime-part time Math professor I am very busy. I am usually facilitating and teaching 10 -13 classes plus hold a 20 hour per average week for tutoring with one of the schools. One of jobs there is to conduct "virtual field trips" of the Math Center and all the free services it offers to students. So The schools I work for provide space in each classroom for communicating and socializing, but I am wondering if I just have a generic Ms Hannahs Math Blog and not refer to any school in particular, I can get students of all levels interacting with each other. I think it would be cool a great service t othem, but where does one find the time between working and finishing that PhD in Learning Management as well?
One of the most surprising things to me was the number of people who play Farmville in relation to the population of France. I had no idea. I thought Farmtown was the game to play....LOL
a. For personal use, I have Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and FourSquare. For work use, I manage Choice University's Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and WikiSpaces accounts.
ReplyDeleteb. I would say I have an advance knowledge in each of the above social media platforms, but I definitely have a lot more to learn. Again, we currently run our own network learning communities through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and WikiSpaces.
c. We are trying to increase participation, and foster collaborative learning through all of our sites.
d. I never thought about using a blog as another interactive virtual classroom. I think this might be another cool way to interact with our students.
Every time I teach this course I see more folks using more tools, and I am taking that as a good sign that people have grown more comfortable experimenting. I usually have NO Twitterers so am really interested to see so many here. Carol: one of my ephiphany moments with social games was the morning I downloaded WWF and was able to play, right then in real time via my phone, with a friend in London. Erika: We'll be talking about participation in tomorrow's session -- remind me to bring up the issue of encouraging participation? And James, I'm not sure that social media is really great for marketing, but the marketers sure think so....
ReplyDeleteJane
From Linda: a.What social media tools you already use for your personal or work use, if any. Examples: Facebook, Ning, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yammer, etc. Twitter, LinkedIn, Yammer, Google+, Wetpaint Wikis
ReplyDeleteb. Your level of experience and expertise with each. Are you a once-in-awhile Tweeter, or are your running your own community on Facebook or Ning? Tweeted for the first time at TK; Set up Facebook for this class. I use LinkedIn for groups related to the conference program and my personal profile and connections.
c. What do you hope to accomplish by learning more about using social media in training? What problem to you hope this will solve? I need to have a good overview since I run TK programming as well as ensuring that I can use the tools to advance the program and meet goals.
ONE MORE THING:
d. What is one thing about our first session (February 16) that surprised you, caught your interest, or gave you something new to think about? I thought it was a good overview—no surprises—but good resource info I will keep for later use.
Hi, I am Eng Hwee, you can call me Eng for short. I miss last Thursday session was I was up the in air. Just listened to the recorded session. Will join the 2nd class. I have very little experience on Social Media. Have a face-book and linkin account. But don't use much on them. I enrolled this session to explore how I can include such tools in the design of our training programs. I head the Learning department for my organization, we have 72 hotels located all over the world, majority in Asia.
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Eng. Erika is also in the hotel business so perhaps we can work in a little time to discuss ideas relevant to that particular setting. The use of learner-submitted photos for customer service training pops to mind....
ReplyDelete