Monday, November 29, 2010

Welcome to "Social Media for Learning"

By midnight Friday, December 3, please answer in a comment:

a.What social media tools you already use for your personal or work use, if any. Examples: Facebook, Ning, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yammer, etc.
b. Your level of experience and expertise with each. Are you a once-in-awhile Tweeter, or are your running your own community on Facebook or Ning?
c. What do you hope to accomplish by learning more about using social media in training? What problem to you hope this will solve?

ONE MORE THING:
d. What is one thing about class today that surprised you, caught your interest, or gave you something new to think about?


I've included my own comment as something of a template for you, but you don't need to copy it. There are no rules: Just please tell us something that will help us learn a little more about your experience.

You can post with just your name -- you don't have to have an account or login (for this blog, for now).

2. Before midnight on Monday,December 5, please read over everyone's comments and add additional comments if you like.

See you next time!
Jane

9 comments:

  1. My dissertation research was on communities of practice -- specifically, one comprised of training practitioners -- and developed an interest in ways members of communities could work together and learn from one another more effectively. My favorite tool is Twitter, and I have developed a vibrant personal learning network (PLN) of smart people who share many of my interests. My work involves learners that span geography and time zones, and work shifts, so I am interested in using social media to help extend my reach to them. I am also interested in social media as a knowledge management/learning organization tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a. I use Facebook and LinkedIn
    b. I use facebook quite often for mostly keeping in contact with friends and posting pictures. I rarely use LinkedIn. I just joined Twitter for this class, so we shall see how that goes!
    c. Figuring out how to supplement our eLearning program on the LMS with other means. We have a lack of interest in taking eLearning courses, people prefer face-to-face training and I am only one trainer. So I am trying to figure out better solutions to this dilemma, getting people engaged in learning through various means, with limited resources.
    ONE MORE THING:
    d. That there are so many methods out there! It is great, but overwhelming.

    Elizabeth Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. a. I currently use LinkedIn, Facebook, and have used Ning in the past. We are also developing a virutal community of practice which will incorporate aspects of discussion forums, blogs, YouTube videos, document sharing, etc.
    b. I describe myself as a 'reactive' Facebook and LinkedIn user in that I mostly only go on to those when prompted by the action of another. In the past, I have used Ning and other blog sites for the purposes of course discussions and have also used Blackboard for these purposes (as well as to provide/access tools and resources). I am a complete Twitter novice.
    c. As a program coordinator for a Mentorship and Training program, I am trying to determine if (and how) to incorporate social media into this program as a way to engage the mentees/mentors and also a broader audience as a way to extend program reach.

    ONE MORE THING:
    d. The breadth and depth of the tools available are impressive. For our trainings, we do not always have a defined set of participants (ie. students in a class), but are disseminating training modules more broadly to a population (eg. Cancer Control Practitioners) To that extent, one thing I would like to learn about/discuss with the group is best practices for how to engage users on these platforms if they are not enrolled as training participants. Bottom line - how to get people to engage on social media or a community of practice if they are not required to as a part of a class?

    -Peyton Purcell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the posts, Peyton and Elizabeth. Both of you raise excellent questions, and I PROMISE we are going to cover them in the next 2 weeks!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only social networking tool I've used is Blogspot. I set up a personal blog but really haven't had time to use it.

    I was particularly surprised by the example you showed us of the library that used a Wiki for elearning. Very interesting and cheap. I'm on a committee reviewing different LMS providers since we are dissatisfied with our current LMS. I've received the bids from these companies. They are extremely expensive.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all I must apologize for missing the deadline! I left for Las Vegas right after our class last week and just got back late yesterday. Homework to a back seat to working on my early retirement.

    A. I use Facebook, Yammer, and Quickr primarily.
    B. I am proficient at each but there is still much I can learn.
    C. I am examining possible social media applications for use in our informal regional communications. The largest hurdle I have is the requirement for whatever means used to be relatively secure due to the sensitivity of government business.
    D. I was fascinated with the GoogleDocs idea. I haven't had a chance to look at it but I am very interested in doing so!

    Phil Lowther

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil-- one thing I've found with Google docs is, because it just looks so much like any other document, I can get very quick acceptance for it. A coworker who's pretty resistant to everything else made quick, effective use of a spreadsheet recently. It was a pretty big win for me in the scheme of things with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a.I use facebook. i have never tried any other social media tool other than Twitter which I use very rarely.
    b. I use faceboot primarily for keeping in touch with friends.
    c. Explore informal ways to share information with a global audience and how to integrate social media tools into our existing LMS and learning technologies.
    d. Using social media in some of the regualr training activities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Facebook account, however I rarely use it. I have never used Twitter or blogs or Wikis.I do have a LinkedIn Profile and have attempted to get groups going for my students.Sadly it hasn't taken off yet.

    I hope to find ways to leverage these tools to enhance my classes.

    The idea of using a blog to replace a student newsletter is really appealing. Further after reading a comment by Dr Dale, I now have a new mind mapping tool.

    ReplyDelete